For your “Real News Reporting” assignment — the culminating project of the news writing segment of this class — you’ll need to find and write your own news story or news feature. This assignment is due March 14, so you’ve got a month or so to figure it out, but it’s not too early to start planning.
To help you get started … here are links to information on some on-campus events that could work for this assignment:
- King Library Art Walk, 2-3 p.m., Feb. 20
- National Book Award Winner Mark Doty visits SJSU, 7 p.m., Feb. 24, and 1:30 p.m., Wed., Feb. 25
- Nancy Pearl, originator of the “One City One Book ” movement, speaks on The Pleasures and Perils of a Life in Reading at the King Library, 6 p.m., Wed., Feb. 25
- Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers, a conversation with author Mary Roach, 12-1:15 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 26, in the Spartan Memorial Chapel
- Journalist/Author Reese Erlich speaks on prospects for US-Iran relations in the Obama administration, 3 p.m., March 5
- Expanding Your Horizons, a math, science and engineering workshop for 6th-9th grade girls, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., March 14 at SJSU (Yes, that would be a very fast turnaround … but good story potential! Talk to me if you’re interested — I might give you an extra day.)
You can also cover an off-campus, local (to you) meeting or event for this assignment. Just make sure it works as a hard news story or news feature.